Alcohol and Drug Prevention
Universidad Iberoamericana (UNIBE) considers the use, possession, distribution or sale of drugs, and alcohol incompatible with university life. It is also unacceptable to attend classes or extracurricular activities under the influence of drugs and alcohol. This policy applies to university events on and off campus.
Violation of this policy constitutes a serious offense and is subject to sanctions.
The following are possible sanctions:
- Referral to the Office of the Dean of Students where the Counseling Department may conduct and evaluation and refer to a mental health professional if necessary.
- Student referral to the Disciplinary Committee, where it will be determined if university regulations have been breached and what sanctions are necessary.
Our Academic Policy and Student Handbook state that UNIBE actively works in the prevention of substance abuse. To achieve this, UNIBE makes use of several campaigns and strategies that strive to educate students about the dangers of substance abuse. Some of these strategies include:
- Annual talks that discuss the dangers of illegal drug use and speak of responsible alcohol use.
- Online drug and alcohol education resources.
- Explicit instructions to students regarding institutional policy and sanctions for drug use on campus. These instructions are given to students in the Introduction to University Life course.
Email campaigns at the beginning of the academic year which will:
- Highlight the effects and risks of drug and alcohol use.
- Raise awareness of university policy regarding use, distribution, sale, and possession of drugs and alcohol on campus.
- Instruction on national law regulating the use, sale and distribution of illegal substances.
- Listing of services offered by the Counseling Department.
UNIBE follows national law (Ley 50-88) whereby the manufacture, distribution, and use of drugs is prohibited on campus.
Creation of a comprehensive institutional drug policy for employees to be distributed upon hiring new employees.