PMBA UNIBE-FIU Coordinator
A seasoned executive with a broad and diverse experience and strong international background, including complete P&L responsibilities across multiple markets, cultures, products and business units. Significant achievements at both established and start-up operations in small, mid-sized and $400 million+, 4,200 employee enterprises.
Chairperson International Business School, UNIBE. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 2009 - current
Leader of a newly created business school within UNIBE, and responsible for three programs: Professional MBA with FIU; Dual Degree Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA) UNIBE-FIU and Spanish MBA with Professional Certificates by FIU (Concentrations). Responsible for managing all operational and academic matters within the school and for expanding business relationship with FIU Business School.
- Economics Professor at Universidad Iberoamericana (UNIBE) since 1990.
- 1st Fulbright-Laspau Scholarship granted to University.
- Launched and Consolidated a new undergraduate career fulfilling all academic requirements from FIU and surpassing all administrative objectives of UNIBE.
- Consolidated the Professional MBA with FIU to 30 students. Have graduated 2 Cohorts out of 5.
- Consolidated the Spanish MBA program with an enhanced Syllabus, new Faculty and Student body. Opening two 92) cohorts per year in February and in September.
President Inovaware Teleservices, Inc., Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 2005 - current
President of Inovaware Corporation’s Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) in the Dominican Republic: It outsourcing and Contact Center services.
• Prepared business plan and successfully consolidated Inovaware Corp’s regional office in Latin America to support the company’s strategic expansion to incorporate LATAM into the company’s target market.
• Consolidated the Dom. Rep.’s operations by transferring the company’s Software Development, Project Management and Technical Support operations.
• BPO services for Telecom and Financial industries both in the DR as well as in the USA.
Vice President/Partner - Excalibur CXO, Rockville, Maryland, 2002 – 2005
Partner and member of a team of CXO executives that provided on-site, real time company management, business development, strategic and marketing planning, telecom & financial engineering.
- Member of a team of 4 companies on an unsuccessful takeover attempt of a $200m Caribbean telecom/cable TV operation. Secured $120 million in private equity and debt financing, restructured $450m in defaulted debt, negotiated with owners/creditors.
- Assisted the Executive Vice President of a $50m Washington DC-based government IT contractor in writing the business model and bid proposal for a 5 year $16m federally funded IT logistics project.
- Assisted the acting CEO of a USVI-based wireless MMDS digital TV and broadband Internet provider on carrier negotiations and sales/marketing procedures.
- Development and implementation of new Telecom Provider (DIGITGLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.) in NY (HQ’s) and DR from ground zero with approval of business plan, development of product portfolio and negotiating carriers’ agreements as CEO reporting to the BOD.
President - Centennial Dominicana/AACR. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. 2000 – 2002.
First Latin American venture for the largest independent wireless provider of the USA. Full Telecom services provider (Wireless and Broadband) in a highly competitive market with 3 other providers. Responsible for the strategic leadership and operations of the company with complete full accountability of the P&L and balance sheet results. A 350-employee company with US$36M in revenue and over US$200M in capital investment.
- Total Company revenues from US$22M to US$36M a year and positive EBITDA at the end of fiscal ’03
- Launching and development of the first digital CDMA-3G network and expansion to 80k customers
- Broadband data services network consolidation of 30% International Toll Market and Revenue Share
Executive Vice President - Marketing & Sales. Cable & Wireless, Panama City, Panama. 1998 – 2000.
Cable & Wireless is a Joint Venture between the Panamanian Government, Cable & Wireless PLC and the employees. A nationwide Telecom provider stated-owned monopoly in transition to a fully competitive market since 1997 with $400M in revenues and US$100M Capex a year. Responsible for Marketing, Sales and Operations of 6 discrete business units -Large Businesses, SME’s, Consumer, Internet, Mobile and Carriers- with over 500 employees.
- Defined and implemented the company’s marketing long term strategy and tactical goals
- Developed and established the product development & management function, focusing on revenue opportunities, market research, new products and services: nationwide ADSL; Internet customer base from 2k to 10k; first Panamanian-content portal; first eCommerce platform; least cost routing process for international traffic; ATM/FR broadband services; Cisco Powered Network Certification; cost-based tariff re-balancing program
- Consolidated sales function focused on segments and streamlined the support functions at Customer Service to ensure maximum customer satisfaction and Core Network for Capex Efficiency project allocation
Verizon International, 1/90 – 11/98. Career positions as follows:
General Manager Verizon International, Miami, Florida. 5/96 – 11/98.
The Miami office was responsible for all U.S.A. business relations for Verizon’s US$600M wholly-owned subsidiary in the Dominican Republic (CODETEL), establishing its strategy and execution. As General Manager, was responsible for complete P&L accountability of the office with 14 employees and revenues for over US$100M a year.
- Directed Verizon Codetel’s international strategy to recover share in international toll markets (US$100M/year)
- Streamlining of International Audiotext business (over US$10M)
- Expansion of offshore services operations from US$2m to approximately US$20M a year
Verizon/Codetel, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. 1/90 – 4/96.
A 70 year old, $600 million telecommunications conglomerate and subsidiary of Verizon Corporation
A voice, data and video services provider to both consumer and commercial markets. Annual Capex of over US$200M, with 4,000 direct employees and 12,000 subcontracted. One of the ten largest companies in the Dom. Rep. and the leader in Telecom services. Positions held:
Manager - International Programs, 1995-96
Project management of multi-disciplinary teams in developing new opportunities to diversify Verizon Codetel international business and the re-launching of its free zone company in the D.R.
- Launch of first Dominican based ethnic market program through a Prepaid Card (Tropicard) in the USA, recovering up to 10M minutes/month of inbound traffic into the Dominican Republic
- Launched first large-scale offshore call center in the Dominican Republic, creating new jobs and generated over US$2M a year in new revenue
Sr. Marketing Analyst- Market Planning and Business Development 1994
Evaluate market competitive environment and evolution to develop proactive marketing strategies and planning in order to minimize competitor’s impact in the market.
Accomplishment: transition function fully into Product Analyst.
Administrator International Services - International Operations, 1991– 1992
Complete responsibility for CODETEL’s International Services (Outbound Toll, ITFS, Operator Assisted Calls, Country Direct, Maritime, Airfone, IPL’s) product management life cycle, including cost and pricing analysis to ensure targeted net margins and protect market share.
- Increase product margins with cost reduction measures and price adjustments
- Consolidated market based analysis for pricing strategy with competitive volume-based pricing
Management Training Program. 1990
Training of High Potential Candidates for executive development. Accomplishment: 3rd Overall Place out of 60.
Business/Financial. Consultant Arturo Martinez Moya & Asocs.; Santo Domingo, D.R.; 1988 – 1989
Financial and business consulting services. Accomplishment: Two multimillion financing granted to industries.
- Cable & Wireless Executive Development Course, INSEAD, Fountainblue, France. June, 1999
- University of Arkansas, M.A. Economics, minor in Finance, top five of class, 1993.
- Graduate Fellowship in Economics. LASPAU Trustees’ Fund Award, 1993
- Economics Institute, Pre-Master’s course work, Santo Domingo, 1992
- Instituto Tecnológico de Santo Domingo. B.S. Economics, with honors, June, 1989
Honors and Special Recognition
- One of 10 2002-year JAYCEES recognition for successful young professional within the D.R.
- Several Verizon-Codetel recognition awards. 1991, 1996, 1997
Memberships & Activities
- Vice President Board of Trustees of Private University in D.R. (INTEC), 2001-2003
- Member of Active 20-30 International of Santo Domingo. Held local club and nationwide leadership positions. Currently member of Active Club 40+. Since 1990
- BOD Member of Active 20-30 Charity Foundation, responsible for managing millions of US$ as well as the operations of several medical service centers targeted to low income population in Santo Domingo. Since 1990
- Cable & Wireless Representative to AMCHAM; Foreign Trade and Investment Committee; Panamanian Commerce Council and The National SME Organization, 2000-2001
- Secretary of the Panamanian National Telecommunications Council, 2000-2001
- Treasurer of the Latin American Students Association at the University of Arkansas in Fayeteville. 1992-1993
- Founder and President of Interact Club of Naco –a youth club sponsored by Rotary International. 1982-1984
Fluent in English and Spanish