DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO APPLY
Pre-Medical & Medical Program:
- UNIBE Online Application for Admission: https://intranet.unibe.edu.do/soladmisiones/Cuenta/en-US/Crear_cuenta/MDI
- Consent for Release of Academic Information Form – attached (printable version available on our website: http://www.unibe.edu.do/sites/default/files/student_request_0.pdf
- Four (4) photos (2”x2”) – identical and printed on photo paper.
- Original Birth Certificate legalized by the Department of State (APOSTILLE) in the Country of Origin (note D).
- Photocopy of Passport legalized by the Department of State (APOSTILLE) in the country of Origin (biographical information/picture page(s) only) (note D).
- Background Check issued by the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) or any FBI-Approved Channeler listed on the FBI Website (for applicants from the Continental United States only). Request your Background Check through the FBI, visit: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks OR to request it through one of the FBI-approved Channelers, visit: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/list-of-fbi-approved-channelers-for-departmental-order-submissions. Note: If using the Channeler option, mail your Background Check report in the sealed/unopened envelope received from the Channeler. ELECTRONIC/PDF Reports are not accepted. RESIDENTS FROM PUERTO RICO & OTHER COUNTRIES: Original Police Certificate (Certificado de Antecedentes Penales). This document is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
- UNIBE Health Certificate – attached (printable version available on our website: http://www.unibe.edu.do/sites/default/files/health_certificate_form.pdf). This form is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
- Hepatitis B Vaccine Record – 3 Doses (applicants who have not been fully or partially vaccinated against Hepatitis B must contact our Admission Office for further Instructions).
- Tetanus Vaccine Record – 3 Doses (applicants who have not been fully or partially vaccinated against Hepatitis B must contact our Admission Office for further Instructions).
- Two (2) Original/Official College/University Transcripts (for applicants seeking to transfer credits) both mailed directly from each College/University attended to our Mailing Address. Once received, one copy will be mailed to the applicant to be legalized by the Department of State (APOSTILLE). Transcripts must reflect degree awarded/Date (if applicable) (note B, D & E).
- Photocopy of College/University Degree/Diploma legalized by the Department of State (APOSTILLE) in the Country of Origin (only for students with a Bachelor’s Degree) (note D & E).
- Two (2) Original/Official High School Transcripts: one (1) legalized by the Department of State (APOSTILLE); one (1) mailed directly by the School to our Mailing Address (only for applicants without a Bachelor’s Degree). Transcripts must reflect courses through 12th Grade and degree awarded/date (note B, D & E).
- One (1) Original/Official 8th Grade School Transcript legalized by the Department of State (APOSTILLE) (only for applicants without a Bachelor’s Degree) (note D & E).
- Photocopy of High School Diploma legalized by the Department of State (APOSTILLE) in the Country of Origin (only for students without a Bachelor’s Degree) (note D & E).
- Personal Essay in English (400-700 words): Why do I want to become a Medical Doctor?
- Two (2) original Letters of Recommendation from Teachers/Professors. Letters must be mailed to our Mailing Address and must be printed on official school letterhead.
- One (1) original Letter of Recommendation from a professional in the Medical Field. Letter must be mailed to our Mailing Address and must be printed on Doctor’s Office Letterhead and have Doctor’s Office Seal/Stamp. Letters issued by family members are not accepted.
- Official MCAT Scores – valid for 5 years (only for students applying to our Medical Program and for those applying with a Bachelor’s Degree in Science) (note I).
- Official SAT or ACT Scores – valid for 3 years (only for applicants applying without a Bachelor’s Degree) (note J).
- Official TOEFL Scores – valid for 2 years - to determine level of English proficiency (only for applicants from non- English speaking countries a/o those whose studies were completed in a language other than English). For more information on the TOEFL exam, visit www.toefl.com (note K).
- One (1) original set of Credential Evaluation/Equivalence Reports for studies completed outside the United States and Canada. For a list of Evaluation Agencies accepted by UNIBE, refer to “International Evaluations” available on our website (note G).
- Official Class Description/Syllabus for each class approved (ONLY for students seeking to transfer credits) (note F).
- US$200.00 non-refundable Application Fee – Money Order (personal checks not accepted)
- All original documents submitted become University property and will not be returned/released to the student. All documents/information will be handled confidentially and used exclusively by the Admissions Department.
- Students not seeking to transfer College/University credits: a minimum 2.5 GPA from High School is required to apply. Students seeking to transfer College/University credits: a minimum 2.5 GPA from each College/University attended as well as a minimum of 9 transferable credits total are required to apply as a transfer student. College/University Transcript reflecting an overall GPA below 2.5 will not be considered for admission and will be automatically excluded from the application. Transcripts with credits in progress are not accepted. We do not accept transfers credits from other Medical Schools.
- Applicants who have a Bachelor’s Degree but do not meet all UNIBE Pre-Med requirements must complete the missing credits either at the institution of origin, at any other accredited pre-med level institution or at UNIBE before entering our Medical Program.
- For information on how to obtain the APOSTILLE through the Department of State, for the documents specified above, visit: https://www.hcch.net/en/states/authorities/details3/?aid=353. We strongly suggest applicants to verify requirements to apostille documents before submitting these to the Department of State, as requirements vary per state. Documents issued by countries that do not participate in the APOSTILLE (Haya Convention) must be legalized by both the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores) AND the Dominican Republic Consulate in the Country of Origin.
- All academic documents that require the Apostille (8th Grade, High School, College/University Transcripts Degrees/Diplomas) must also be legalized by the Ministry of Higher Education in the Dominican Republic (MESCyT). This process only applies for applications that have been approved by our Admissions Committee and is required to be completed during the first weeks of school.
- Syllabus/Course Descriptions are required to determine course equivalency.
- Credential Evaluation/Equivalency reports are required for studies completed in countries other than the Dominican Republic, United States and Canada. This report is used to determine the equivalency of studies/credits and does not substitute the original transcripts; therefore both Original Transcripts and Credential Evaluation are required.
For applicants NOT seeking to transfer credits: 8th Grade/High School Transcripts and Diplomas must be evaluated on a Document-by-Document basis and MUST include Graduation GPA on a 4.0 scale.
For applicants seeking to transfer credits: College/University Transcripts/Degrees must be evaluated on a Course-by-Course basis, must include GPA on a 4.0 Scale, and Degree Equivalency, if applicable.
The following is a list of evaluation agencies accepted by UNIBE:
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. – contact: www.jsilny.com - (305) 273-1616
- World Educational Services, Inc. (WES) – contact: www.wes.org - (212) 966-6311
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) – contact: www.ece.org - (414) 289-3400
- Foundation for International Services – contact: www.fis-web.com - (206) 328-0260
- LEGAL TRANSLATIONS into Spanish are required for the following documents: Birth Certificate, 8th Grade transcript, High School transcript, High School Diploma, College/University transcripts and Degrees/Diploma.
I.MCAT Score Report: Applicants must request the MCAT OFFICIAL/ELECTRONIC scores report be sent directly from the testing agency to “Universidad Iberoamericana”. Once this step is completed, send us a copy of your report reflecting your name, AMCAS ID Number and Date of Exam, to be able access your records through the testing agency database.
J.SAT/ACT Score Report: Applicants must request OFFICIAL/ORIGINAL scores report be sent directly from the testing agency to “Universidad Iberoamericana”.
K.TOEFL Score Report: All Pre-Med/Medical applicants, whose first language is not English a/o their studies were completed in a language other than English, are required to certify their knowledge of this language through one of the standardized tests accepted by UNIBE (the Admissions Committee reserves the right to request this test on a case-by-case basis). Applicants must request OFFICIAL/ELECTRONIC scores reports be sent directly from the testing agency to “Universidad Iberoamericana – School Code 4429”. Once this step is completed, notify our School by providing a copy of your personal report to be able access your records through the testing agency database.